Reconsider the origins of speech
Because language is constantly evolving, so too are its highest arts. Brendan Constantine presents ‘No Word for This,’ a workshop for poets, designed to stimulate creativity by reconsidering the origins of speech, how different cultures create new words, the long tradition of words invented by poets, and the mysteries of how language is processed in the brain.
Since 2017, Constantine has been working with speech pathologists and clinicians to develop poetry classes for people with Aphasia and Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI). The results are compelling and call for a total reappraisal of this art form. “It’s the most useful I have ever felt as an artist.”
This is the first time he will incorporate these insights for a wider audience. “I promise you will see your own work differently, and probably discover a few obstacles you didn’t know were in your way.” Writers of all backgrounds and experience are welcome. Sufferers of Writer’s Block strongly encouraged.
Expect to walk away with:
- Enhanced understanding of linguistic anthropology
- Experience with cultural anomalies in language
- Heightened sensitivity to what ‘works’ in your own writing
- Increased confidence and freedom to invent
Accessing Each Class
- You can access each week’s live class by clicking in the week’s link listed below. Once you click inside the week, you will see a countdown timer on the page for the respective week.
- The countdown timer will change to a “Join Now” button 10 minutes before the scheduled class start time. Click that button to access the live class via Zoom.
- If you are having any issues accessing the live class, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Accessing The Recordings
- The recording for each week’s class will be posted in the week’s links listed below.
- Once the class has completed and the recording has processed, you will see a button that says “Show Recordings.”
- Click “Show password” to view/copy the password before opening the recording
- Open the recording, enter the password, and view!